The Need to Expand
The Champaign County Humane Society (CCHS) has served Champaign County for over a century and is the area’s only open-admission animal shelter. It receives no funding from municipal, county, state, or federal governments.
The Champaign County Humane Society's animal shelter was constructed in 1988. Currently, many of the cats and small animals are housed in the hallways and lobby due to lack of space.
Stressed animals are more susceptible to disease, and there are direct correlations between environmental conditions and stress. By improving the environment for shelter animals and the staff members who serve them, our animals will be healthier and adopted more quickly.
In the dog area, the chain-link/cinderblock dog kennels are outdated and often need repair. The shelter’s heating and air conditioning units are inefficient, outdated, and break down frequently.
The current shelter lacks a suitable space for dog training and canine behavior assessment, staff meetings, volunteer training, and educational programs.
Our Renovation and Construction Plans
- A new 1,600 sq. ft. addition will expand the lobby and areas where cats, kittens, and small animals are on display for adoption. The new animal housing will be designed to meet the physical and psychological needs of its occupants.
- The chain link dog kennels will be re-faced with modern materials to improve functionality and appearance.
- A new 5,700 sq. ft. Education Building will provide space for dog-training classes, education programs, volunteer training, and a variety of daily operational needs.
- The medical lab will be expanded to provide separate exam areas for dogs and cats.
- A new heating and air conditioning system will be installed to improve air quality
Our Funding Strategy
Over the next several months, our Capital Campaign initiative will be carried out by a very committed group of local business/community leaders and CCHS Board and Staff members.
The Capital Campaign Steering Committee
Janice Bahr & Mark Ballard, Co-Chairs
Cheryle & Jim Turner, Honorary Co-Chairs
Michael Biehl, Vice Chair Gift Cultivation
Holly Clemons, Vice Chair Gift Cultivation
Leslie Lundy, Vice Chair Stewardship
Stefanie Pratt, Vice Chair Events
Marcia & Dwight Raab, Vice Chair Gift Cultivation
Shelby Stifle, Vice Chair Gift Cultivation
Colleen Vojak, Vice Chair Marketing
Mary Tiefenbrunn, Executive Director
Heidi Zulauf-Mulderink, Director of Development
Steve Pratapas, Fundraising Consultant
Our Campaign Leadership Team will provide leadership and stewardship of our fundraising efforts to raise the $1.75M needed to accomplish all our goals.
For more information, contact Heidi Zulauf-Mulderink.